An easy, delicious taco salad that takes just 20 minutes and is a classic! It’s a hearty salad loaded with fresh, creamy avocados, healthy black beans, lean ground beef, lots of crispy romaine lettuce, and a healthy serving of cheddar cheese.Taco salads are perfect for summer barbecues and picnics!
An old favorite salad, just became a new favorite salad (♥). I love it when that happens. My mom made this salad for us all the time when my siblings and I when we were little. I just couldn’t get enough of it! And up until recently, I had totally forgotten about it. It’s kind of like leaving a $20 in your jeans and finding it on laundry day! Love rediscovering my favorite meals.
I know I say that salads are my favorite all. the. time. And that i’ve been feeding you a lot of salads lately. But i’ll tell you why I love them sooo much. Salads are my favorite way to get all the food I want to eat (color, texture, flavor, nutrition, fruits + veggies) all on one plate. I know, I’ sound like a big food hog, but I expect a salad to be exceptional and nothing less than that. And lately, I’m on a salad kick and i’m lovin’ it!
And lets face it, the absolute, best part, about a salad is the dressing. The star of the show. It makes it, or breaks it. And for this salad, we’re using a quick bottled dressing. Usually, i’m not a fan of store-bought dressing. Making dressing at home is the way to go. But there are times when it’s just not possible to make your own. And sometimes the flavor of a certain dressing just cannot be replicated! That is totally the case with the Catalina dressing that is called for in this salad. The sweet, tangy flavor pairs perfectly with the seasonings, veggies, cheese, and tortilla chips in this salad. Trust me, this is one of those times you want to grab the store-bought stuff.
One of the reasons this taco salad is a fave of mine is because of the simplicity! I had this salad for lunch 3 times this week and I still haven’t gotten enough! I like to store all the components to this salad is separate containers in the refrigerator. That way, i’ve got a fresh bowl of salad in minutes.
This salad is wonderful for barbecues and picnics. Because it requires very little work and is easy to put together on site. Note to mention, it’s sure to please a crowd. Cheese? Tortilla chips? In a salad? Yes, please!
Let’s recap all the reasons why this taco salad is a keeper:
1. Quick + easy prep 2. Sweet and tangy dressing 3. Crunchy 4. Cheesy 5. Veggies 6. Filling 7. Lightening fast 8. A bowl of yumminess 9. Perfect for lunch 3 days in a row!
Okay, I could go on forever. And 10 reasons are a little too cliche for my taste. We’re stopping at 9!
But, you must, you must, you must make this taco salad!
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 packet (4 tablespoons) taco seasoning, homemade or packaged
- ⅓ cup water
- 6 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large haas avocado, diced (use 2 if you want more!)
- 2 handfuls tortilla chips, crushed up
- Catalina Dressing, as needed
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and sauté the onions for 2 minutes. Add the ground beef and brown. Drain any excess fat. Add the taco seasoning along with the water and let the ground beef simmer for 5 minutes or until all the water has evaporated.
- In a large bowl, or in individual bowls, toss the romaine lettuce, tomatoes, black beans, cheddar cheese, diced avocado, and tortilla chips. Drizzle with as much or as little of the dressing as desired! Enjoy!
Hungry for more? Stay connected: Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Bloglovin’, and Tumblr