Dear New Year,
Please be kind.
I’m coming at you with a game plan. Now here’s how it’s going to be! I like eggplant and zucchini, tomatoes and carrots, I’m gonna eat those. I like scones and pretty much anything that had butter in it, I’m gonna eat those too. I’ll drink kale smoothies (and make my husband drink them too) and we’ll even like them. I’ll even try and make time for exercise. Okay, I’ll make time.
I’ll drink more tea, but secretly I’ll love coffee even more. I’m going to have a go-getter attitude. I’m going to be positive. I’m going to try new things. I won’t give up. I’ll make sure to volunteer and help those in need.
I’ll have more phone conversations and text less. Okay, I’ll try ; I’m not making any promises on that one.
I’m going to make more sandwiches, lots and lots of sandwiches. Because I like them.
Oh so delicious.
Be a good year, please!
Love, Marzia Gather your ingredients for our Margherita panini. The beauty of simplicity. 10 minutes to a super flavorful, delicious sandwich. Fresh french bread, ripe garden tomatoes, fresh basil, and cheese. Lots and lots of mozzarella cheese.
Make the olive oil mixture first for our panini. A hint of garlic, a pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper, and a dash of Italian seasoning. That’s the stuff that makes the Margherita panini so delish!
Thinly slice the tomatoes so they quickly get tender when grilled.
Spread some of the olive oil mixture on both sides of the inside of the bread before piling on the tomatoes and cheese. Pile as high as you like! I like an equal ratio of bread and filling.
This is the pizza/panini that kings dream of! Top the second piece of bread and spread the olive oil mixture on one side and place that side down on the griddle/panini press. Then spread the mixture on the other side. Let bread get toasty. Eat immediately!
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ⅛ Teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon granulated garlic (or less, depending on preference)
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 slices European Style Rustic Bread (about 1 inch thick or to preference)
- 6-8 medium-sized fresh basil leaves
- 4 slices tomato (1/4 inch thick)
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients with the olive oil and continue to mix until the salt starts to dissolve.
- Brush the olive oil mixture on one side of each of the 4 slices of bread. Place 2 mozzarella cheese slices on 2 of the bread slices, slightly overlapping. Repeat with the tomato. Add 3 - 4 basil leaves per sandwich and top with the second bread slice with the oil-brushed side facing in. Brush both sides of the sandwiches with the remaining oil.
- Preheat a griddle on medium-low flame or a panini press. Grill the sandwiches until the bread is golden brown and the cheese melts, pressing down with a metal spatula, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the sandwiches to a plate and serve immediately.